November 24, 2011 § 1 Comment
Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans everywhere! Ben and I are both working on this day in Zambia as it’s not a holiday here. However, we are celebrating! Homemade pumpkin pie is in the oven, potatoes are ready to be mashed, and chicken (our Zambian substitute for turkey – a rarity here) is going to be fried. We are “knocking off” from work early and having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with friends. We are missing our family and friends at home and sending love to all of our dear ones. We are so thankful to God for the life He has given us. We will be back in this space Monday. Have a wonderful holiday!
November 22, 2011 § 5 Comments
This week, in honor of the American Thanksgiving holiday (my favorite in the holiday season!), we are thankful for many things:
- The rainy season which has just started, cooling off the blazing temps
- Watching the kids learn at the special needs class at the orphanage class we volunteer
- Sweet friendships
- Our health
- Our home which provides us a place of rest and shelter
- Guests which are making their appearances in a few short weeks!
- Home made pumpkin pie (you must try THIS recipe)
- Trust in God for His timing in all circumstances
- My husband for his love and care for me – he truly is my best friend!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! What are you thankful for?
November 30, 2010 § 1 Comment
Here’s the awaited post of our Thanksgiving week festivities. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for many reasons:
- It’s usually a non-desirable Holiday for most people and so I can usually get it off work
- It’s a really loooonnnggg weekend and Ben and I usually have the Thursday-Sunday off to be together
- It’s a low-stress holiday. All you have to do is make food and enjoy it with people you love and care about. Now, who wouldn’t like that??
Thursday we spent part of the day with Ben’s family:
One of my bros-in-law scarfing down the good stuff
Maris (almost 2) playing with Sydney
Ben “helping” Maris smile for the picture
The Menenberg gang (missing Alex)
The Leyde family
*I didn’t get a picture of the 5 of us on my camera…long story. The short of it is that Thanksgiving is usually the time we try to take a “nice” family photo for Christmas cards and we *ahem* dad *ahem* were very focused on getting one on my parents camera…anyway…
Yumm….the devastation after the feast
Friday, we had lunch with friends and my favorite god daughter…oh my gosh!! I love her to pieces (and her mama too!)
Winter (10 months)
We all made an attempt…
Saturday we celebrated our favorite 13 year old…Madison (Ben’s sister)!
One of her besties, Anthie
Ben’s Grandpa and Grandma
Syd and Jody (my MIL)
Madison, you’re beautiful and a wonderful young lady. We’re so proud of you!
November 25, 2010 § 1 Comment
I am thankful for…
- my God and savior
- my husband
- our families
- our wonderful friends and church communities
- my job
- our apartment
- graham cracker crust pumpkin pie (get the recipe here)
- garlic mashed potatoes…they’re probably so good because of the stick and a half of butter (thanks, Paula Deen!). *I did modify it slightly by adding parsley to the potatoes and I about quadrupled the batch and eye-balled the amounts. They’re very smooth so add less milk if you like them more chunky*